Hello, my name is Jenny Fang, and I am 18 years old. I have been doing art for over 15 years and I'm grateful for having opportunities to take art classes for the past years.
In the summer of 2016, I got a chance to teach children in Fiji arts and crafts. While I enjoyed this experience, I found out that there are many children who don’t have access to art education. School access to art supplies is a problem in developing and developed nations alike--even in the USA, many children still can't afford to do Art.
With this in mind, I was inspired to start this charity which aims to provide different art supplies and art education opportunities to children in the nation and around the world. So far, I have worked closely with a Tibetan School where many students have never taken an art class before while, during the weekends, I have also organized multiple free art classes for children in my local the Calabasas Library and Super Joey Foundation here in LA.
I really want to help more children have the opportunity to create art and help them find their passion and voice!
Did You Know?
Young people who participate in the arts for at least nine hours per week through at least one full year are:
* 4 times more likely to be recognized for academic achievement
* 3 times more likely to be elected to class office within their schools
* 4 times more likely to participate in a math and science fair
* 3 times more likely to win an award for school attendance
* 4 times more likely to win an award for writing an essay or poem
Young artists, as compared with their peers, are likely to:
* Attend music, art, and dance classes nearly three times as frequently
* Participate in youth groups nearly four times as frequently
* Read for pleasure nearly twice as often
* Perform four times as much community service
Source: "Living the Arts through Language + Learning: A Report on Community-based Youth Organizations," Shirley Brice Heath, Stanford University and Carnegie Foundation For the Advancement of Teaching, Americans for the Arts Monograph, November 1998
It is incredible to see how Art can enhance one's creativity and benefit one's abilities in many other areas. With Art, we are able to communicate, make connections with people from different cultural backgrounds, and even can bring positivity to children who suffer from diseases...
I may only be 18, but I believe I can bring more colors, smiles, and happiness to this world: one set of Art supply at a time!
- Jenny Fang