I Believe Art Brings Care, Creativity, Communication... and Color to This World
Hello, my name is Jenny Fang, and I am 16 years old. I started taking drawing classes from Kindergarten, having received compliments from my peers and family, I was encouraged to create more Art. I started to become passionate about Art, and felt grateful for this talent.
In the summer of 2016, I got a chance to teach children in Fiji arts and crafts. I enjoyed this experience but I was also inspired by the kids - during classes I found that all the children got excited when I took out the art supplies. Then, I realized a problem, many children do not have access to art supplies! School access to art supplies is a problem in developing and developed nations alike. Even in the U.S., many children still can't afford to do Art.
These children inspired me to start this online store, whose mission is to supply various types of art tools to underprivileged children around the nation. So far, I have connected with a Tibetan School in Sichuan, where many students do not have access to Art Classes because they could not afford to buy supplies. As a result, I am planning to bring more colors to this school by supplying them with art tools I raise.
I really want to help more children receive Art Education, because it is time for them to create a new world!
Did You Know?
Young people who participate in the arts for at least three hours on three days each week through at least one full year are:
* 4 times more likely to be recognized for academic achievement
* 3 times more likely to be elected to class office within their schools
* 4 times more likely to participate in a math and science fair
* 3 times more likely to win an award for school attendance
* 4 times more likely to win an award for writing an essay or poem
Young artists, as compared with their peers, are likely to:
* Attend music, art, and dance classes nearly three times as frequently
* Participate in youth groups nearly four times as frequently
* Read for pleasure nearly twice as often
* Perform community service more than four times as often
("Living the Arts through Language + Learning: A Report on Community-based Youth Organizations," Shirley Brice Heath, Stanford University and Carnegie Foundation For the Advancement of Teaching, Americans for the Arts Monograph, November 1998)
As a result, I believe that Art enhances the creativity of a person, and Art is also important in many other ways, like communication, connection between people from different cultural backgrounds, and even can bring smiles to children who suffer from diseases...
I may only be 16, but I believe I can bring more colors to this world, and change the statistics one set of Art Supply at a time!